Georgina Brett Chinnery
The chosen medium of artist Georgina Brett-Chinnery is leather. She creates sculptural forms, blending her expertise in upholstery with traditional leather working techniques such as tooling, braiding and stitching, celebrating the tactile essence of material.
It was her ‘Bird Brain’ series that first caught my attention, a series of sculptural forms which invites us to delve into the conscience and ask how we see ourselves and others. Each a form of archetype, these birds are chosen to represent chapters on the road to awareness, for nothing is always as it seems. The endeavour of the labour intensive making process parallels our continuous striving for clarity and serenity. Brett Chinnery’s artistry is in the seemingly effortless combining of material, process and meaning, her exceptional work has earned her the Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Award for two years running.
Her background comprises the study of 3D design and subsequently upholstery. Combining these skills she sold at Liberty and garnered press accolades for her unique approach to design and craft. It was when she thought to try out leather on a popular design that she took a new path. She took a course in decorating leather and showed her first collection ‘Flora and Fauna’ in the Project Space at Collect 2011.
- 2017 Masquerade, Wing Gallery, Wadhurst,
- London Craft Week, Fine Leatherwork at Leathersellers’ Hall 4-6 May
- London Design Festival, British Craft Pavilion
- Le Cuir A Paris
- Collect, The International Art Fair for Contemporary Objects, Saatchi Gallery, London.
- Tent London, Truman Brewery, London.
- 2015 Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Award 2015
- 2014 Cockpit Arts / Leathersellers’ Award 2014
- Cibas Peer Mentoring Programme, Palmer Hamilton Partnership.